DERINDA BABCOCK: Author and Educator
Derinda Babcock was an English Language Acquisition teacher for almost twenty-five years in Southwestern Colorado. During this time, she worked with students of all ages and many different linguistic and cultural backgrounds. The richness of this experience lends flavor and voice to the stories she writes. She has discovered a real enjoyment and appreciation for historical research and the crafting of entertaining stories written from the Christian world view. When she is not writing, Derinda teaches online and furthers her own education.
Background and Education influence Derinda’s writing
Education and Career
- Associate of Arts: Art and Music majors;
- Completing an Associate of Applied Science in Digital Media Arts and Design;
- Bachelor of Arts with Linguistically Diverse (Spanish) endorsement: Art and Modern Languages majors, History and Psychology minors;
- Master of Arts: Education
- Languages studied: French, German, Spanish, and American Sign Language.
- Most Highly Developed Skill Areas: English Language Acquisition/English as a Second Language, Reading Instruction
- Almost twenty-five years in public education teaching second language learners, K – 12
Most beneficial educational training
- Spalding Education International, Scientifically-based Language Arts Instruction
- The Thoughtful Classroom: Making Students as Important as Standards
- Fiction: Dodging Destiny (Aug. 2015), In Search of Destiny (Feb. 2016), Following Destiny (July 2017) by Elk Lake Publishing, Inc.
- Short stories: “Dancing Hands,” winner of the 2015 Writers In the Storm contemporary category and included in the Dancing Up A Storm anthology published by Chalfont House. “In A Still Moment,” (Civil War) and “A Christmas Tale,” contemporary, Indie published.
- Represented by Joyce Hart, Hartline Literary Agency
- Wife, mother, grandmother
- Lives on a small ranch in Southwestern Colorado
- Enjoys gardening, working with animals, and increasing her knowledge and skills